Saturday, September 14, 2013

Task Timer

I've used this tool for a work task recently.  I download my project data, the hours people have spent on it and costs, weekly to stay on top of my spending.  This usually takes 15-20 minutes and involves downloading the data, reformatting it, plotting it, and then looking it over.  On the day I used the Task Timer tool it took about 47 minutes.  I predicted 20.  Before starting this task I identified how I think things would go and afterward I noted how things actually went.  When I designed the tool I was wondering how I would react if things took much longer than anticipated, and I imagined that I'd get upset with myself for one reason or another.  In this situation, I did not get upset at all.  The reason for the delay was partly a mistake and partly a need to add some new project data that I didn't anticipate.  I thought about deleting this entry and re-generating the task time on a more typical day, but I decided against that.  This entry represents more of a worst case scenario, and the time really isn't that bad.  My forecasts of not getting anything done or spending my whole day on one task can't stand up to data like this.  47 minutes, worst case, means I just about always have plenty of time during my day to get other activities done.  I didn't think I'd use the tool like this when I built it.

If you'd like to contribute one of your experiences, reminders, any tool entry or just your thoughts to possibly help others make better use of Mood Sentry, please consider e-mailing the item (or your thoughts) to 4theblog@moodappsllc.com. I'll protect your privacy and keep the source anonymous.

If your therapist would like to contact me with questions or suggestions, have him/her contact me at info@moodappsllc.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment