Friday, February 8, 2013

Work Today

I started the day out reviewing Mood Sentry with a particular meeting in mind.  I had a work related telecon that was causing me to feel a bit anxious.  The meeting was in the morning.  The anxiety was driven by forecasting that the people on the other end of the phone would be very confrontational and argumentative.  As I reflected on this I realized that part of that forecast was driven by magnifications.  In effect, anything I thought they might disagree with would turn into a big argument.  I was able to calm myself by first recognizing that there may be some disagreement, but there was a good possibility that it would be over something minor and thus not likely to blow up into anything.  That also helped mitigate the forecast of conflict too.  So how did the meeting go?  Differently than anticipated.  We did not disagree about much, and uncovered a potential issue with the program.  That potential issue generated more forecasts with me, but I was able to address it fairly quickly by contacting a person who knew more about the subject than me and was able to quell my forecasts.  Lessons learned?  Things still rarely manifest as badly as I forecast and jumping on things quickly can often resolve them quickly.  I have entries in my Observations and Essays lists that relate to forecasts and getting on top of things quickly.  Looks like I need to review these in the mornings.

No comments:

Post a Comment