Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Anxious This Morning

I had a meeting this morning that had me feeling anxious.  The anxiety was due to forecasting that the meeting would turn confrontational and I would look bad in front of the customer.  The forecasting was driven by reading more into an e-mail from one of the participants than was actually in the e-mail.  I think that's a form of mind reading.  What I did was review a couple of entries in my app related to interacting with others and conducting meetings.  The entry related to interacting with others points out that interactions rarely blow up, and most of the time are fairly benign.  I warn myself in that entry to beware of misinterpreting peoples actions in meetings because sometime what seems confrontational is often just the other person trying to make sure we have the best solution.  My entry regarding meetings addresses looking incompetent and participants blowing up.  Looking incompetent is something I've never encountered and people blowing up has only happened a couple of times, never with this group.  Reviewing both of these entries helped reduce my anxiety but didn't eliminate it.  That was good enough.  The meeting went well and I think was very productive.  Having these entries at my fingertips is why I developed Mood Sentry, so I have what I need when and where I need it.

No comments:

Post a Comment