Thursday, February 14, 2013

Magnification and Minimization

I was ruminating in bed the other night on several things going on in my life, mostly work related.  It finally dawned on me (no pun intended) that what I was really doing was magnifying the importance of these items. Each item was an issue, but not one was important enough to warrant thinking about in the middle of the night.  Not one was due the next morning, or even the next day.  Not one would take that long to address.  And not one would be that critical if it wasn't done on time.  I recognized this as magnification and tried putting each in perspective.  I tried focusing on my current needs which at that time was sleep.  I also tried to identify how much black and white thinking was influencing my thoughts, and realized that there was some of that in there too.  Somehow I managed to get back to sleep.  I've now started a Cost Benefit analysis on Magnification and Minimization.  I'm not sure where that entry is going to go, but I'll play with it a bit and see how it develops.

No comments:

Post a Comment