Monday, January 14, 2013

Tried Something a Bit Different Today

When I got to work I started an e-mail to myself at home.  I left this e-mail open all day and filled it in with that various tasks I undertook, how much time I thought the task would take, how I thought the task would go, how long it actually took, and how it actually went.  Here's a sample of what I did...

Pull Financial Data planned 10 min, took 10, forecast - straight forward, no issues expected; actual -minor password issue, resolved. Note - needed to redo this later in the morning to accommodate a request.
Plot Financial Data planned 10 min, took 40, forecasts -  involved, but straight forward; actual - More involved than anticipated, but will be easier in the future.
Update Analysis Tool planned 15 min, took 5.  forecasts - somewhat involved, but straight forward; actual -  was actually easier than anticipated. Note that there were a couple of follow up meetings that didn't take long.
Team tag up planned 30 min, took 15 forecasts - Straight forward meeting, no issues expected; actual - as expected

I kept updating this record during the day.  Not every entry had all this data, some were more simple in which I just identified the activity, the forecasts, and the actuals.  I'm going to review this e-mail.  I'm gleaning more insights into my thought patterns from it.  For example, I think I tend to disqualify the positive a bit more than I realized.  It's also helping me better articulate what's going on in my head.  I'll review this e-mail tomorrow and then start a new one.  I want to see where this takes me.

No comments:

Post a Comment