Monday, April 15, 2013

Caught a Forecast Early Today

I had a telecon scheduled today with a group of people I'm only starting to work with.  There was an exchange of e-mails prior to the meeting and when I read one I took it the wrong way.  The person asked how I got approval to do something and I took it to mean that I shouldn't have been given the approval to do what I did.  In fact, it was really just a procedural question asking how I got the approval.  However, once I mistook the question I not only anticipated that I had done something wrong, but expected the telecon to be confrontational too.  I caught this one fairly early and per My Experiences I tried imagining the opposite, that things would go great and also thought that I should take her comment at face value rather than reading more into it than might be there.  I responded and she replied.  Her reply was innocuous and positive.  I looked at her reply and imagined the meeting going in the same direction.  That helped reduce the feelings associated with the initial distortion, though I still had this inkling that the telecon would turn confrontational.  It did not.  In fact, it went quite well and was very positive.  I'm looking forward to working with this group.

No comments:

Post a Comment