Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Will it Matter in 100 Years?

At lunch today I got away from the office.  I'm still going through a fairly hectic time at work and was stressed out by lunch.  I reviewed some entries in Mood Sentry and then picked up a book by Rick Brinkman and Rick Kirschner called "Dealing with People you Can't Stand: Bringing out the Best in People at Their Worst."  I had been reading this book earlier in the year but put it down for other priorities.  I started reading it where I left off and in this chapter they talked about not letting what other people do bother you.  One test was the title of this blog entry, will it matter in 100 years?  That got me thinking about applying it to the some of my distortions.  So I thought about the things that are most stressful to me, the primary one being if I'll have enough work for myself in a month or two.  I then asked myself if it will matter in 100 years, and the answer was no.  Of course not.  As a matter of fact, not much of what I do will matter in 100 years, so why worry?  Oddly enough, this test helped reduce my stress a bit and made it easier to go back to work.

No comments:

Post a Comment