Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Working my Issues

The more I work my issues, the more I learn about myself.  That probably seems fairly self evident but it's something for me to keep in mind.  That's because every now and then something pops out at me that makes me think I'm getting what this is all about.  Today I had a moment like that.  I was at work, feeling a little overwhelmed with some pop-up tasks along with a plate that felt overloaded to begin with.  Then it dawned on me that I have this tendency toward black and white thinking that led me to believe that I had to complete everything on my plate, today.  I often start the day planning to get several things done, then when pop-up items arise I think I have to complete them too.  The simple task of prioritizing and re-arranging my schedule to accommodate these new items can alleviate a lot of stress for me.  Recognizing that all or nothing thinking plays a role in this thought process helped me define the problem a bit better, which ultimately helped me reduce my stress and anxiety.  This helps keep me motivated to work on my issues.

No comments:

Post a Comment