Friday, December 21, 2012

Reviewed Some of my Newer Entries

I reviewed some of my newer entries today and caught something surprising in each.  Each entry, each essay to be specific, was geared toward getting me away from black and white thinking.  For example, I have a recent entry related to tasks in which I simplify tasks into 4 categories: quagmires, predictable, surprising, and delayed.  I have found that reviewing this entry at the start of the day can help mitigate forecasts of conflict and failure.  This evening it dawned on me that I'm also using this entry to challenge black and white thinking.  My tendency is to look at tasks as either turning into quagmires or being predictable.  Reviewing this entry helps me look beyond those 2 options and see that there are other ways tasks can play out.  I have 2 other entries that do something similar.  It looks like I'm focusing on attacking black and white thinking as a way to deal with distorted thoughts.  By the way, here are the simplified categories I use for tasks...
quagmire - things get bogged down beyond repair.
predictable - things go generally as planned.
surprising - things go better than planned.
delayed - something pops up that delays the task for a couple of days.

No comments:

Post a Comment