Sunday, December 9, 2012

Whack a Mole?

Sometimes managing my condition feels like I'm playing "whack a mole."  That's what it was like this morning.  I woke up early, 4 am, ruminating on something going in at work.  I was forecasting conflict in regards to a pending meeting and reporting status the could be sub-optimal.  I addressed this distortion using previous history (things are rarely as bad as I forecast), the fact that when there have been problems I have addressed them fairly well, and that nothing I've seen recently points to a major problem.  That worked.  So what happened next?  I started ruminating on an unrelated topic, this time about a task I've undertaken for a volunteer organization and forecasting that I'll never get it done.  Once more I addressed the distortion via evidence based on previous history as well as recent accomplishments.  This also worked.  Next I started ruminating on yet another item, this one related to my home life.  I addressed it, felt better, and then started ruminating on a different work item.  I'd whack one down and another would pop up.  Just like whack a mole.  I take comfort in that I was able to address the distortions and manage their impact on my mood.

No comments:

Post a Comment