Friday, April 6, 2012

People should behave as I expect...

This thought comes up a lot with me.  It's a should statement, and one that really has no merit. Expecting people to behave as I expect is not realistic and can drive all sorts of negative feelings.  Anger and frustration often result from such thoughts.   One way I counter this thought is with a counter should statement, people should behave as they expect.  It's probably not the best counter thought because it's still a should statement, but it can start me feeling better.  I can look at myself and see that I behave mostly as I think I should, so why wouldn't I expect others to do the same?  Of course they should.  Most often when others don't do as I expect, they are  acting to the best of their knowledge of what's best for them.  Good for them.  I often do the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment