Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Essay: Forecasting Rejection (part 6)

Well, I'm going to wrap this up.  If you compare this to the previous post, you'll see that I edited the first part for clarity and brevity.  I expanded the second part, but only a bit.  I'm pushing the input limits on number of characters.  I think I've captured my thoughts and have some stuff I can use to counter these thoughts a bit.  Here's where I'll end this...

"I tend to forecast rejection when seeking input from others. For example, when I have to review a design concept with someone, I forecast that the person will find some rudimentary flaw in the design. This leads to forecasts of the person calling me stupid, or telling me that they can't believe I made such a stupid mistake. The same thing happens when I need to ask for or comment on something, I automatically forecast "no" and/or imagine the person being insulted or annoyed by me."

"These thoughts tend to make me feel anxious and depressed. I still present my ideas, questions, and comments, primarily because it's my job. However, these thoughts do not represent the norm. The last time I presented a design concept it was well received. In fact, the previous concept was well received too. I can't remember the last time someone thought my question or remark was stupid, though I have been told I can be weird at times. The people I interact with treat others well.  It is common for others to appreciate my input."

It's just a little more direct now.  This is something I can review in the morning, mid-day, or evening, as needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment