Friday, April 20, 2012

Essay: Forecasting Rejection part 4

I'm moving on a bit with this.  I'm shortening the thoughts section, identifying some of the distortions, and figuring out what to do...

"I tend to forecast rejection when seeking input from others. For example, when I have to review a design concept with someone, I forecast that the person will find some rudimentary flaw in the design.  This then leads to forecasts of the person putting me down for being stupid, or telling me that they can't believe I made such a stupid mistake. The same thing happens when I'm just looking to ask for something, I automatically forecast "no" and then imagine the person being insulted or annoyed that I even asked."
"I'm seeing forecasting for sure, but also seeing some labeling and some personalization."
"These thoughts tend to make me feel anxious and depressed.  I still present my ideas and questions, primarily because it's my job.  Bit I think I can combat them and minimize their impact.  The last time I presented a design concept it was well received.  In fact, the previous concept was well received too."

I'm starting to look at the thoughts and identify ways to combat them.  Right now, it looks like I'll go with the past experience defense.  That can be handy, particularly when the past experience is recent.  We'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment