Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Essay: Forecasting Rejection (Part 5)

I'm finishing this one up.  The first paragraph is mostly the same, but I am trying to cut stuff out now...

"I tend to forecast rejection when seeking input from others. For example, when I have to review a design concept with someone, I forecast that the person will find some rudimentary flaw in the design. This then leads to forecasts of the person putting me down for being stupid, or telling me that they can't believe I made such a stupid mistake. The same thing happens when I'm just looking to ask for or comment on something, I automatically forecast "no" and/or imagine the person being insulted or annoyed by me."

"These thoughts tend to make me feel anxious and depressed. I still present my ideas, questions, and comments, primarily because it's my job.  However, these thoughts do not represent the norm. The last time I presented a design concept it was well received. In fact, the previous concept was well received too.  I can't remember the last time someone thought  my question or remark was stupid, though I have been told I can be weird at times.  It is not uncommon for others to appreciate my input."

 I'm going with the past experience defense. I'm also picking up on some things I've forgotten about, specifically  being told I can say weird things at times.  That's something I can work on.  I'm running out of space on this one because I limited the entry to 1024 characters (that includes spaces).  What I'll be doing next is cleaning this up.  I think it captures what I needed to capture.  We'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment