Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Got a major thing off my plate this evening

I'm a volunteer webmaster for a local environmental group, and just pushed a major update to the website out. You guessed it, forecasts of ridicule for having a poorly designed site, multiple people telling me it doesn't work with their browser, lots and lots of typos, and lots of suggestion for how I can make it better.  Of course all these will lead to lost free time and I'll be a failure.  My self talk is based on past experience, which means very few if any people will contact me about stuff that's not working or suggesting how it can be better.  I know there probably are a few mistakes, and in fact I already found and fixed one.  However, there are a lot of good things in the site.  We have a more dynamic home page, the site was simplified, it has a better layout, and we got away from a frame based layout.  Pushing my thoughts to the stuff that's good helps defeat negative thoughts.  There's one more thing I've done that has been helping with events like this.  I simply remind myself that I am not the website.  That one thought has helped me recently in similar situations.  I need to capture that in my app.

No comments:

Post a Comment