Saturday, October 13, 2012

Hosted a Surprise Party for my Wife

This evening I hosted a surprise party for my wife.  She cleared her special education II the other month and I felt it needed to be celebrated.  I've never organized an event like this and found myself addressing multiple distortions.  I think my tendency toward all or nothing thinking had a lot to do with these thoughts.  Planning this out, I would forecast that this event would be a bust.  What would make it a bust?  Not having everything go as planned.  My entry in "My Experiences" for all or nothing helped with that thought.  I was able to convince myself that everything doesn't need to go as planned to make the party a success.  This evening we didn't have all the people I expected to show, actually show up.  My mood would start drifting lower because people I expected to show did not show, however, I was able to catch these thoughts and challenge them with real-time data.  When I took the time to observe the group, everyone was in fact having a good time.  My wife had a great time, and that was the most important thing.  This is a good experience to capture.  Things didn't go as planned, but things worked out well anyway.  I'll jot down a couple of notes and capture this in an Event entry tomorrow.  My phone's on the charger now and I need to get some sleep.  Social events wear my out.

No comments:

Post a Comment